Cooked Salt and Pepper Squid
- 500g fresh calamari
- 2 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 4 green shallots chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon mirin seasoning
- Spice mix
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon celery powder
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- Clean calamari by pulling the tentacles from the body. Wash out the tube and remove the clear “backbone”. Remove the skin. Cut tentacles from the head and discard heads. Cut tubes into triangles. Put the calamari onto paper towel and dry thoroughly.
- In a bowl, mix self-raising flour, oil and a little water to make a paste. Place calamari pieces and tentacles into the bowl and coat well. Then sprinkle each piece with enough cornflour until the pieces are dry.
- Combine all ingredients for the spice mix and set aside
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a wok. Add calamari in batches and cook until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining calamari.
- Drain off oil. Add shallots, garlic and chilli to wok. Cook for 30 seconds until aromatic. Return calamari to wok and add 2 to 3 teaspoons of the spice mix. Toss well to combine. Add mirin seasoning, toss and serve immediately.